Because releasing services shouldn't be a moonshot.
Moonshot is a command line tool and library for provisioning and managing application environments using CloudFormation. It has native support for integration with S3 and CodeDeploy, as well. Other systems may be added using our pluggable system. The core components are:
- A DeploymentMechanism controls releasing code. For example, Amazon CodeDeploy.
- A BuildMechanism creates a release artifact. For example, a local shell script.
- A ArtifactRepository stores the release artifacts. For example, Amazon S3.
The goal of Moonshot is to wrap CloudFormation in a toolchain that codifies the deployment and management of a service. Our goal is that within a given service the Moonshot configuration, CloudFormation template, and supporting AWS services should be easily understood.
Some of our original design goals were:
- Simplicity: It shouldn't take more than a few hours to understand what your release tooling does.
- Choice: As much as possible, each component should be pluggable and omittable, so teams are free to use what works best for them.
- Verbosity: The output of core Moonshot code should explain in detail what changes are being made, so knowledge is shared and not abstracted.
You can install Moonshot for your local user with:
$ gem install moonshot
If you would prefer to manage your projects dependencies with Bundler, add the following to your Gemfile:
And then execute:
$ bundle install
After installation, there is still some work required. Follow the example documentation as described below to dig in!
The Moonshot tool has been designed to be an extensible library for your specific use-case. We aren't trying to solve every use case, but rather give you an extensible toolkit that your project can grow with, without leaving your trapped behind rigid design philosophy. Interested in how it can be used? See our example documentation. The example doc uses the files shown in the sample directory so you can figure out how to modify this for your own application.
We also want to help you contribute and answer all your questions on how Moonshot is maintained.
- Ruby 2.1 or higher